1. Main objectives are:
a. Extending the coverage of irrigation.
b. Improving water use efficiency.
2. End to end solution on source creation, distribution, management,field application and extensional activities.
3. It is formulated by amalgamating ongoing schemes.
4. Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) – Department of Land Resources (DoLR), Ministry of Rural Development.
5. Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) – Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Gange Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD&GR).
6. On Farm Water Management (OFWM) – Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC).
7. Implementation: Decentralised manner through state irrigation plan and district irrigation plan.
8. Micro Irrigation Fund: The fund was set up with a initial corpus of rs 5,000 crore under the scheme with NABARD.
9. NABARD will extend the loans to state governments to mobilise resources to achieve the annual target about 2 million ha/year during the remaining period of 14th Finance commission.
10. It would supplement the efforts of Per Drop More Crop Component (PDMC) of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee yojana.